Paneer Makhani (Cottage Cheese simmered in rich creamy tomato Gravy)
Paneer Makhani is a well known Indian classic gravy. Cubes of cottage cheese are simmered in a creamy tomato sauce with the aromatic Kasoori methi (dried fenugreek leaves). It is also known as Paneer makhanwala or Butter Paneer.
The dish is a favourite with most people while eating out at any punjabi restaurant. Paneer makhani as the name suggests is a very rich gravy incorporating a lot of butter which is the most favorite ingredient of punjabi cuisine. In traditional punjabi houses, the pure white butter is prepared from thick creamy milk. The Soft cottage cheese chunks are then simmered into a rich tomato based gravy.
Believe me or not, If you are a vegetarian by appetite and a Punjabi by Origin, this is your most frequent dish to order in an Indian restaurant. This hold true for my family at our all dining-outs. The subtle blend of spices like cardamom, dried fenugreek leaves and the cream adds to the richness and flavor to the Makhani recipe. I Serve the Paneer Makhani with my favorite Indian bread “Naan” for a cozy and quick weeknight dinner.
In an all India voting poll initiated by Star Plus, Paneer Makhani emerged as India’s favourite veg dish among the top 10 popular dishes suggested by MasterChef judges, Sanjeev Kapoor, Vikas Khanna and Ranveer Brar. So the dish doesn’t need more testimonials.
So, having praised enough about my favorite dish, here I share my version of Creamy paneer makhani which is very simple. Please skip adding garlic and fenugreek leaves if preparing for a fasting menu.
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
Total Time: 25 minutes
Type : Entree
Cuisine. : Indian
Serves : 4
250 gms Cubed cottage cheese
1/4 cup Fresh Cream
250 gms Tomato
1 tbsp Butter
1 tbsp Fenugreek leaves (dried kasuri methi)
1/2 teaspoon Red chilli powder
1/2 teaspoon Garam masala powder
2 Green Chillies
an inch of Ginger
1 teaspoon ginger garlic paste
2 teaspoon honey
Salt as per taste
Cilantro for garnish
- Pressure cook tomatoes with Ginger juliens, green chilli, little salt till 3 whistles. Allow it to cool and then purée and strain any skin and seeds. Keep the tomato purée aside.
- Melt the butter in a pan, add ginger garlic paste, tomato puree, salt, red chilli powder and simmer until cooked.
- Add kasoori methi powder and garam masala ,cook for 5-6 mins
- Add the cream and cook further for 2-3 minutes.
- Drizzle some honey to balance the tanginess of tomato.
- Add the cottage cheese cubes and cook for a minute.
- Serve hot garnished with cilantro.
Eat healthy, exercise well and stay tuned for more recipes. Don’t forget to follow me on Facebook ,Twitter and Instagram.